Delhi – NTPC and TCS take Delhi honours
On a quite Sunday afternoon with a lovely drizzle making the national capital look more like a hill station, over 100 teams converged at Taj Palace for their date with Tata Crucible. The buzz was about who would turn out at Delhi, with the introduction of Gurgaon as an option for teams from here. A very balanced prelim set the tone for the afternoon as quizmaster Pickbrain went about his task like a surgeon, with absolute precision and perfect timing.
The finalists were
- Tata Teleservices : Madhur Kalra and Navkendar Singh
- TCS : Jagannathan and Mirza Farhan Beg
- Tata Motors : Anirudh and Varun Balan Nair
- TCS : Abhinav Kishore and Anurag Krishna
- Voltas : Dhiraj Chadha and M.Rafi
- Tata Communications : Gaurav Suman and Nitin Sharma
Non Tata Track
- Royal Bank of Scotland : Nitiksh Srivastava and Anang Rawat
- The Smart Cube : Nikhil Arora and Tushar Garg
- CSC : Sukhwinder Singh and Varun Manocha
- IOCL : Suresh and Deepak Taneja
- NTPC : Sujit Varkey and Prashanth
- BPCL : Sunil Bains and Anil Saxena
The Tata track of the quiz was a fairly keen contest led throughout by TCS represented by Anurag and Abhinav. However, many teams kept closing in on TCS as the rounds progressed. If it was Tata Motors for a while, it was the other TCS team with Jagannathan and Mirza Farhan for a bit. No one really made headway till Tata Teleservices showed a lot of resolve toward the mid and ending stages of the quiz but lost out to a consistent Anurag and Abhinav of TCS.
The non Tata Track of the quiz was a complete contrast to the previous final. NTPC dominated from the word go and clobbered a 110 points prompting the quizmaster to quip “You might read an abnormal headline tomorrow – Delhi hit by a Tsunami in the form of NTPC.” The battle for the second place looked tight but some good quizzing by CSC got them to the post ahead of RBS and IOCL.
Delhi will be fortunate to have a second weekend of Crucible with Gurgaon coming up a week later. That sure promises to be a thriller as many of the regular Delhi finalists are actually based at Gurgaon, The guest of honour Mr. Praveer Sinha, CEO and Executive Director of Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd. appreciated the teams for some lovely quizzing and summarized the evening beautifully by telling the quizmaster “You sure picked on our brains”.